One of the risks of having such great tech is the fact it is even easier now for criminals to target you to make easy money.
We are all guilty of walking down the road, openly looking at our smart phone without a care in the world, this could not be a better sight for any thief. Imagine walking down this same road, but holding £300 in cash, would you do this? It’s basically the same, and unfortunately this is the way that thieves view you and your phone. The good news is that you can protect yourself with certain tweaks which a lot of iPhone owners do not know about.
Firstly, make sure you have Apple’s very own “Find iPhone” app which can be downloaded from the app store, as this will allow you to track your iPhone if it has been lost or stolen. With this app you can remote wipe the phone to at least give you some peace of mind. This can be accessed via the internet on any web browser through iCloud.com.
Now, criminals have got tech savvy and have realised that merely deleting the “Find iPhone” app and switching off location services disables the tracking feature which police can use to track the phone down, so here is how to stop them doing this;
- Click on Settings
- Hit General
- Select Restrictions – at the point you will be asked to setup a pass code, do this!
- Click “Enable Restrictions”
- Scroll down and look for Deleting Apps and toggle the switch to “Off” – This stops people deleting “Find iPhone” which aids in locating the phone after its been stolen.
- Scroll down to the section labelled Privacy
- Click on Location Services and then click “Don’t Allow Changes” – This stops location services from being disabled without your pass code.
- Lastly, scroll down to the Allow Changes section and click on Accounts, then hit “Don’t Allow Changes” – This will stop anyone disabling your iCloud account and will allow the phone to be tracked as long as a Sim card is in the phone.
This makes it impossible for your phone to be disabled, so if you do encounter the worst and your iPhone is stolen, call the police and hand over your iCloud account details and let them track your phone.